Is it safe for dogs to chew on plastic bottles?
Dogs love to play with plastic bottles. Canines enjoy hearing the crunching sound plastic makes between their teeth. But is this free toy safe for dogs?
Plastic can cause a dog to choke. If the cap or ring of a plastic bottle is ingested or gets stuck in the mouth or throat, it could create a life-threatening emergency or at worse fatality.
A bottle without the cap is also a risk since jaw work on the plastic bottle could easily tear into dangerous shards. As a result, it could hurt the dog’s mouth, throat, stomach intestines or rectum. Moreover, if a piece is ingested, an intestinal blockage would require surgery and could even be life-threatening. Furthermore, the sharp edges can cut a dog’s gums and mouth. None of this is a nice thought for our beloved furry friends.
In conclusion, please don’t leave a dog unattended with a plastic water bottle. If in the unfortunate event your dog does happen to swallow plastic, K9 of Mine provides some great advice.
In my travels, I have seen wild monkeys and dogs play with plastic litter. When disposing of our plastic, we can all try to be more mindful about the animals we share our planet with, and the possible harm plastic waste can create.
I hope you feel armed with the information you need to keep your dog safe. Do you have any experiences with dogs and plastic bottles? Share in the comments below.
If you’ve found this blog helpful, you can support me and the site by buying me a cup of tea or sharing the site with a friend. Your support means the world to me!
torrent21/12/2020 at 8:26 pm
Everything is very open with a precise description of the issues. It was truly informative. Your site is extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing. Lucie Lyman Levitan
plasti04/08/2021 at 5:40 am
The blogs you produce are full of knowledge and authentic and relevant information. I like your style and it is easy to understand. Keep it up I will surely come again to increase my knowledgePlastic Bottles