2 minute beach clean what is and how to do it.
Have you got 2 minutes? Of course, you have! ‘No More Plastic’ by Martin Dorey details how we can all step away from the screen, get outside and gift just 2 minutes. Moreover, the 2 minute beach clean up highlights how every piece of litter removed counts. Therefore, it doesn’t matter if you do 2 minutes or twenty. Every item of marine plastic removed from the beach is a piece that can no longer go on to cause harm to the environment or kill our wildlife.
Having tried it, it’s incredible how much you can collect within a 2 minute window. Furthermore, the time doesn’t feel daunting. It’s a great excuse to get up from our towels and go exploring whilst doing good. As the author of the 2 minute beach clean says:
Have you got 2 minutes? Of course, you have. Go outside to your nearest beach, street, local park or open space. Set the timer on your phone to 2 minutes and pick up litter until the buzzer goes off. How much did you collect? Surprised?
Aside from the 2 minute beach clean. Here’s a list of things you can do to help make a change:
- Do a plastic audit. Look around and see how much plastic prevails in your day-to-day life.
- Reduce or quit your fish intake. Discarded or dumped fishing nets are a large contributor to ocean plastic pollution.
- Give up items, such as plastic bottles, straws, crisps, cotton buds, plastic bags or wet wipes. Use sustainable alternatives where possible.
- Open your kitchen draw and take out a fork. Now go put that fork in your work bag. Use it.
- Use your purchasing power to buy products that come with less plastic packaging.
- Become familiar with the recycling processes of your local vicinity. Ask questions at the recycling plant and your local MP or leader.
- Replace all items with “not currently recyclable” items with alternative options.
- Invest in a quality safety razor. Say bye-bye to disposables.
- Visit your nearest package free store.
- Research various plastic free beauty products and try them.
- Have a party without dangerous waste — no more balloons and glitter.
- Gift reusables to yourself and those around you, depending on your favourite things to drink or munch on.
For more great tips, sign up for our plastic free challenge, and receive daily tips and ideas on how to go plastic free for 365 days.
I hope you’ve found this blog helpful! Would you set assided time for a 2 minute beach clean up? Let me know in the comments below.
As always, you can support me and the site by buying me a cup of coffee, commenting below or sharing the site with a friend. Your support means the world to me.